Electric scooters are one of (, if not) the most popular means of transportation in Shanghai. The immense popularity is shared by locals and expats alike. Obvious advantages are affordability (compared to cars), that there is no need for a driver’s license, and that they are more or less environment-friendly.
Since March 2017 however, all unregistered scooters in Shanghai are in severe danger of being confiscated by traffic police. Regulations require scooters to conform to very specific speed, weight, wattage and voltage standards.
- Maximum speed cannot exceed 20 kilometers/hour,
- Maximum weight cannot exceed 40 kilograms,
- Continuous power output generated cannot exceed 240 watts,
- Must have pedals,
- Batteries cannot exceed 48 volts,
- Other measurements must not exceed the following limits: tire thickness of 64 millimeters, seat length of 550 millimeters, lateral distance of crank of 240 millimeters, length between the front and back axels of 1,350 millimeters. (Full tech specs here, in Chinese only) A list of certified scooter sellers can be found here. And a directory of acceptable models is available here. (Both of these pages are also only in Chinese).
To register a conform scooter, you go to the designated registration station in your district. The addresses can be found below. Hours for each location are 8.30am to 5pm (Monday-Saturday):
|Xuhui||2138 Longwu Lu, by S20 Outer Ring Expressway 龙吴路2138号，近S20外坏高速||2303 7944|
|Jing’an (and Zhabei)||251 Gonghexin Lu, by Jiaotong Lu 共和新路251号，近交通路||6380 3970|
|Huangpu||806 Zhongshan Nanyi Lu, by Luban Lu 中山南一路806号，近鲁班路||5301 7959|
|Changning||251 Jinzhong Lu, by Jianhe Lu 金钟路251号，近剑河路||2303 9751|
|Pudong (Jinqiao)||1500 Longdong Avenue, by Jinqiao Lu 龙东大道1920号， 近金桥路||2204 4399|
|Pudong (Nanhui)||3131 Gongji Dong Lu, by Quyou Lu 拱极东路3131号，近曲幽路||5802 4253|
|Pudong (Dishui Lake)||1969 Luchaogang Lu, by Hangwan Lu 芦潮港路1969号, 近杭弯路||N/A|
|Putuo||31 Liquan Lu, by Fucun Lu 礼泉路31号，近府村路||2204 9872|
|Hongkou||222 Yutian Lu, by Miyun Lu 玉田路222号，近密云路||6516 1561|
|Minhang||3 Shenbei Lu, by Chundong Lu 申北路3号，今春东路||2406 2541|
|Yangpu||1047 Guohe Lu, by Zhongyuan Lu 国和路1047号，近中原路||2207 0679|
|Qingpu||6189 Waiqingsong Highway, by Tiyuchang Lu 外青松公路6189号，近体育场路||6971 4190|
|Songjiang||399 Fanhua Lu, by Songdong Lu 繁华路399号，近松东路||5772 2658|
|Baoshan||Lane 239 Taihe Lu No. 8, by Tongtai Bei Lu 泰和路239弄8号，近同泰北路||5656 0814|
|Jiading||2599 Jia’an Highway, by Zhouguo Lu 嘉安公路2599号，近周果路||5953 1635|
|Jinshan||Lane 8484 Huhang Highway No. 38, by Weiling Lu 沪杭公路8484弄38号， 近卫零路||5797 1163|
|Fengxian||2142 Huhang Highway, by Xiu Nan Center Lu 沪杭公路2142号，近秀南中心路||2406 9420|
|Chongming||901 Gulangyu Lu, by Huaniao Lu 鼓浪屿路901号, 近乔松路||6962 0708|
As for the documents, you need to bring the following:
- Photocopies of photo and visa pages of your passport,
- Fapiao or receipt for the scooter,
- Certification of authenticity (合格证), which is usually included in the bike’s instructions manual,
- Temporary residence permit (境外人员临时住宿登记单) (the one you got when registering your address at the police station)
If you want to register a second hand scooter that was registered in sombody’s name before, you also need to bring the previous registration card, and a copy of the ID card or passport.